Gennady Golovkin’s world title fight against Ryota Murata in Japan was Friday postponed “to next spring”, over a ban on new foreign arrivals to the country prompted by the Omicron variant
Tokyo, Dec 3 (APP – UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News – 3rd Dec, 2021 ) :Gennady Golovkin’s world title fight against Ryota Murata in Japan was Friday postponed “to next spring”, over a ban on new foreign arrivals to the country prompted by the Omicron variant.
IBF middleweight champion Golovkin, also known as “GGG”, tweeted that he was “deeply disappointed”, but “the health and safety of the public must always be the priority”.
“I look forward to returning to the ring against Ryota as soon as possible,” added the 39-year-old.
“All concerned parties will sit down for discussions and keep a close eye on the infection situation, and look at a new date for the match,” said a statement on Teiken’s website.
The famously hard-punching Golovkin last fought in December last year when he stopped Kamil Szeremeta in the seventh round after knocking the Polish challenger down four times.
Golovkin, who has a 41-1-1 record, is currently training in Florida.
The 35-year-old said when the fight was announced that he felt his “entire amateur and professional boxing career has been a preparation for this fight against Gennady Golovkin”.
That fight is expected to go ahead, with Dipaen and his team having arrived in Japan last week.
Japan’s borders have been almost entirely shut to new overseas visitors for most of the pandemic.